The beginning of high school is a great time to delve into academic areas of interest, extracurricular activities and community service. Students should start thinking about advanced courses that may help them become more competitive in college admissions.
- It is never too early to begin visiting colleges.
- Students will start building their resume.
- We emphasize a focus on GPA as this is the first year represented on a student’s transcript.
Standardized tests for college admission such as the SAT and ACT are right around the corner, so signing up for practice exams is encouraged. Students should focus tightly on maintaining high academic marks, and create a list of colleges and career paths that interest them.
- Students will take the PSAT
- Test Prep begins! Students will continue to focus on GPA and extracurricular activities to build their resume.
- Choose your junior year courses wisely (AP offerings).
College prep is now in high gear. Students will partake in college tours during the fall class trip, draft essays to practice for college applications, participate in workshops within advisory periods and start narrowing down their list of college options.
- Students will take the PSAT at TBS.
- Students should register to take the SAT or ACT.
- Finalize your college list and register for campus tours.
- Consider Collegiate Start courses at Elon for your senior year.
- Consider taking AP courses and exams.
- Hold individual meetings with your Counselor.
Before the school year even begins, students will have workdays to start their applications with the assistance of our Director of College Counseling. Between individual meetings, workshops and parent programming, seniors and their families will be set with the tools they need to complete the process. It’s the end of one journey and the beginning of another!
- Students should take SAT or ACT again, if needed.
- Seniors will begin application to colleges.
- Start to investigate and apply for scholarship opportunities.
- Make sure to submit FAFSA/Financial Aid information.
- Solidify your college decision by May 1.
Learn More about Guidance at Carver Vo-Tech High School by visiting